Thorp Athletics DirectorThorp School District #400
Athletics & Activities Director
Purpose Statement: The primary purpose of the Athletic Director/Activities Director is to manage and oversee the district*s interscholastic athletic program and the district's activities.
- Prior successful teaching experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Prior coaching experience preferred
Successful Experience Preferred:
- Familiar with WIAA rules and regulations
- Familiar with ASB rules and procedures
- Evaluates and supervises programs assuring a proper balance and perspective concerning the entire school program to best meet the needs of students and community
- Encourages educational excellence in staff and students
- Facilitates positive communication, team building, consensus building among staff
- Communicates effectively with all members of the school district and community
- Works effectively with community organizations
Reports to: Principal
Supervises: All Coaching Staff and ASB activities
- Develops and coordinates supervision schedules for home (away events when warranted) events using administrators and volunteers etc.
- Coordinates the public relations and publicity for all activity events and programs. Collaborates and informs the local media, school website, students, parents, community and others concerning program/events.
- Serves as director of school-based activities during the summer months coordinating coaches, volunteers, and community organizations in setting a calendar by April 15 each year and posted on the school website
- Prepare a master budget and supervise equipment inventories.
- Secure and file the paperwork for equipment lease requests involving the athletic department.
- Prepare a master sports/activities calendar that includes conference and non-conference games/events.
- Coordinate gym, building and athletic field use with the district office and maintain the district use calendar.
- Coordinate gym use for practices and games and give final clearance for the use of either gym or the athletic field.
- Work with the coaching staff and transportation supervisor to schedule all athletic departure times and provide bus supervision with trip sheets.
- Work directly with the ASB Clubs\ Advisors, community organizations, and local PTO on projects pertaining directly with the school district including pep fests, prom or other events/projects
- Arrange travel and overnight accommodations for players or athletic teams (and coaches) competing in the postseason competition.
- Seek and recommend suitable competition for all non-conference events/games.
- Hire all officials 7-12 and non-conference contests.
- Confirm official's contracts and all non-conference contest contracts.
- Secure game workers for athletic contests, chain crews, announcers, clock operators, scorekeepers, line judges, etc., and submit the list of contracted workers for that contest to the even supervisor before the event.
- Submit athletic expense request sheets for payment for officials and other workers to the district office.
- Coordinate the collection of rosters for program information as needed.
- Act as a resource person and coordinator for all coaches.
- Coordinate the hiring of coaches for the athletic program.
- Evaluate all athletic programs on an annual basis. Make recommendations for improvement to the building principal and district administrator.
- Complete an evaluation form and hold a conference with all coaches within three weeks after the conclusion of their sports season.
- Develops and maintains a handbook for coaches and advisors
- Mediate the resolution of problems, issues, and concerns that may arise between coaches and athletic programs.
- Provide a channel through which students and the community may express their concerns about an athletic program.
- Provide for in-service of coaching staff as needed.
- Disseminate WIAA materials and enforce WIAA rules and regulations, including player eligibility.
- Collect, file, and notify athletes and coaches regarding student eligibility as it pertains to the WIAA physical cards and athletic codes of conduct.
- Collect and maintain on file a properly completed physical card or alternate year physical card for every student participating in athletics.
- Distribute athletic training rules yearly to all athletic participants. Collect and maintain on file a signed copy of student letters of intent.
- Administer the school athletic code in a fair and consistent manner that is within the intent of the code.
- Ensure district adherence to all WIAA and district policies, administrative rules, procedures, and codes relating to and participation in athletics.
- Order postseason awards for each program.
- Attend monthly athletic conference meetings.
- Oversee ASB Activities and fundraisers
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- District directed initiatives.