Control Room OperatorKittitas County
Control Room Operator
$3288-$3996 per month.
The Kittitas County Civil Service Commission is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Control Room Operator with the Kittitas County Sheriff's Office. Under general supervision, the Control Room Operator ensures the safety of all jail employees, visitors, volunteers and external facility traffic/activities electronically and visually using remotely controlled doors, cameras, visual monitors, intercom systems, two-way radios and computer systems. This is a non-exempt, benefited, Union (Local 760 Corrections Non-Uniformed) position. Anyone who meets the qualifications stated below may apply. This listing will close on 3/14/2019.
Salary Range: $3,288.00 - $3,996.00 per month.
Ensure the safety of all jail employees, visitors, volunteers and inmates by observing, controlling and logging all movements of internal and external facility traffic/activities
- Monitor and operate the audio-visual electronic control console and touch screen control system, including a bank of cameras that monitor the facility.
- Monitor emergency communication system via door controls and assess each emergency based on the audio received from the inmate and visual appearance via monitors.
- Log inmate movement in and outside of the facility into a hand-written master log and computer database system.
- Control use of all doors, visual monitors and intercom systems.
- Oversee inmate visits with the public by controlling and coordinating physical and electronic control systems including schedules, intercoms, telephones and computers.
- Maintain distribution, logging, and collection of designated keys.
- Coordinate, monitor, and operate base radio system and fire alarm system.
- Answer telephones and provide information on inmates and jail-related policies and procedures to law enforcement staff, court officials and the general public or transfer calls to the appropriate authority.
- Scan inmate mail and packages for contraband.
- Report existing and potential safety hazards and security threats, disturbances, and irregularities to the shift supervisor.
- Monitor and report inmate rule violations; Observe and respond to unauthorized movements and/or emergency situations; Correct unauthorized movements by voice commands; Route officers and/or patrol cars to designated locations as necessary; Summons outside police, fire and medical assistance as necessary.
- Maintain a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and working relationship with Elected Officials, managers, supervisors, departmental employees, other County employees, representatives from other agencies, and the public.
- Receive, process, and enter inmate court paperwork.
- Enter money and monitor inmate's accounts.
Kittitas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
? Accept bail money and process using CashTax.
? May be required to appear in court as a witness.
? Run criminal recorders on inmates.
This job description is a summary of the primary functions and expectations for this position. Additional department- related duties may be assigned as required.
- Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid Washington State Driver's License
- 21 years of age at time of hire
- US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- A minimum of one (1) year of office experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A criminal history and background check to include fingerprinting will be performed on qualified candidates. Convictions may preclude candidates from employment in certain circumstances.
- Factors such as relativity to the position, age and time of the offense, seriousness and nature of the violation, and rehabilitation will be taken into account. There can be no conflicts of interest with the hiring agency.
Skills Must have:
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to type with sufficient speed and accuracy to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Problem solving skills and abilities.
Abilities must have the ability to:
- Multi-task with accuracy and efficiency, and prioritize work.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Understand and follow oral instructions and written procedures and guidelines.
- Respond effectively in crisis or emergency situations.
- Exercise good judgment under stressful circumstances.
- Maintain emotional detachment.
- Remain alert and responsive.
- Identify suspicious acts utilizing computer monitors.
- Read, understand and interpret work related laws, ordinances and established policies, procedures and practices of the Kittitas County Sheriff*s Department and Correctional Facility.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships Certificates, Licenses, Registrations.
- Must possess and maintain current First Aid & CPR Certification (or have the ability to obtain)
- Qualify and obtain ACCESS Certification within six (6) months of employment (employer provided)
Kittitas County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Previous experience working within a Correctional Facility.
Previous experience with shift-work.
Work is performed in a confined, controlled, and dimly lit environment. There is no direct contact with inmates; however, verbal contact is frequent and visual monitoring is constant. Persons in this position will be required to perform shift-work, rotating 12-hour days and nights as scheduled, including weekends and holidays. Occasional travel outside the county may be necessary for training or other purposes. Regular attendance and punctuality are required. Must have mobility to traverse stairs, work in a confined office setting, and use standard office equipment; strength to lift up to 25 pounds; vision (including peripheral) to read printed materials, computer screens, monitors, and be acutely aware of activity within the facility; and hearing and speech to communicate clearly in person, as well as over the telephone, intercom, and radio. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions if requested.
Supplemental Exam Questions
1. Do you have at least one (1) year of office experience? If yes, please explain where you obtained this experience.
2. Do you understand that you will be required to pay the $10 non-refundable test fee prior to taking the written exam?