Building & GroundskeeperKittitas County
Building & Groundskeeper
The current vacancy in the Kittitas Valley Event Center is a seasonal, non-benefited, non-union, nonexempt position expected to begin as soon as possible. Anyone who meets the qualifications stated below may apply. Workers in this position may not work more than six (6) months in any 12 month period. This position will close on August 09, 2018.
Salary Range: $11.50- $13.50 per hour.
Maintain and repair Kittitas Valley Event Center facilities and equipment
- Repair and maintain structural components on interior and exterior of buildings.
- Repair system components such as leaky plumbing and burned out lighting.
- Provide maintenance services such as: cleaning, painting and touch-up, mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, dusting and other routine custodial duties.
- Operate and maintain tractors, various trucks, lawn care equipment, and hand/power tools.
- Provide irrigation set-up and monitor water application.
- Mow, edge, trim, sweep, rake, patch lawns, pull or spray weeds, and clean parking lots.
- Provide support to Maintenance Technicians and office staff, including purchasing and picking up materials.
- Clean out stalls and replenish bedding in animal barns.
- Clean, maintain, and stock restrooms.
Assist individuals and groups using the Kittitas Valley Event Center facilities
- Prepare buildings for use, set up equipment as directed, tear down after events are over.
- Confirm with groups that all preparations are satisfactory.
- Enforce codes, regulations, policies and rules of governing agencies.
- Work with user groups to provide accommodations that achieve successful outcomes.
- Maintain riding arenas to the specified conditions of the users.
- Install or move portable corral fixtures.
Other department related duties as assigned
- Supervise inmate workers to accomplish required tasks.
This job description is a summary of the primary functions and expectations for this position. Additional department- related duties may be assigned as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Valid Washington State driver*s license.
- Previous experience using the basic tools required for performing facilities maintenance, custodial, and grounds maintenance duties in a safe manner.
- Must be able to successfully complete mandatory training through the Kittitas County Sheriff*s Office prior to supervising inmate workers.
- A criminal history background check will be performed on qualified candidates. Convictions may preclude candidates from employment in certain circumstances. Factors such as relativity to the position, age and time of the offense, seriousness and nature of the violation, and rehabilitation will be taken into account. There can be no conflicts of interest with the hiring agency.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Safely utilize all of the tools and equipment required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Perform work independently, and possess the desire to do a good job.
- Provide outstanding customer service and possess high standards for event preparation, including attention to detail, the ability to anticipate client needs, impeccable housekeeping skills, and accurate set-up of sound and media equipment.
- Follow verbal and/or written directions and comply with policies and regulations.
- Prioritize work and respond to emergency and/or competing requests in a calm, professional manner.
- Capable of performing manual labor for long periods of time.
- Able to multi-task and handle stressful situations, including customer complaints and competing demands.
- Available to work overtime during the weeks leading up to the Kittitas County Fair and throughout Labor Day weekend.
- Two (2) years of experience with plumbing, carpentry, and/or electrical work.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Work is performed in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments, which will require working in inclement weather such as temperature extremes and/or windy, dusty conditions. Exposure to the following environmental conditions and substances may occur: excessive (concert level) noise; animals typical to 4-H, Fair or Rodeo environments; and hazardous or corrosive chemicals such as: fertilizers, soil additives, automotive chemicals, fuels and lubricating oils, paints, primers and solvents, cleaning and sanitation chemicals, airborne environmental dust and wood dust. Position requires ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, twist, grasp, and reach with arms and legs. Must be able to regularly push, pull, lift and carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally higher with assistance; must be able to work in a forward posture for extended periods. Must have close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to hear and clearly communicate in person, over the telephone, and by radio. Safety rules must be adhered to at all times, including safe lifting/carrying techniques, and PPE must be worn when required.
This position requires frequent interaction with a diverse customer base, and supervision of inmate workers.
The work schedule will include evenings, weekends, and holidays with extended shifts and overtime required prior to and during the Kittitas County Fair. Regular attendance and punctuality are required.
Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.